Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Piece Of Home.....



You'll often hear, "Home is where the Army sends us!" This is very true as every house you are assigned or rent has to be turned into a home that you will live in for any given amount of time. This could mean weeks, months or years. Of course, what I'd like to address in this article is the definition of "home". Home isn't merely a place but also a feeling. This rings especially true to those of us who move due to the military. Home expands from the places we grew up to the current dwelling we reside in. However, not every duty location you're assigned or community you belong to always feels like home. So what is your definition of home?

For me, my home is where my family and friends reside. More personally, home is where my husband, my love is located. He is my piece of home (both part of Hawaii and anywhere new) that I carry with me in my heart. Having that one piece makes living away from where I grew up, from the rest of my family, from my friends bearable. Many of my family members and civilian friends ask me how I can stand to live so long overseas or uproot my life, my career, my family and move every three years. It's because I love my husband and without him any place else I go wouldn't feel like home. Many military spouses feel this way and it's this understanding and connection that bonds us as sisters. No matter where I go in the world I have family or friends stationed throughout the U.S. and overseas. I look forward to them coming to visit and having the chance to visit them. My heart will never feel homeless ever again.


2 comments:

  1. I really like this Angel, well put :-) I even like the photo of George! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooah to Home. I was going to say when I get one of those "home things" life is going to be great, but you are absolutely right; home is family and friends. Of course having my hubby back and getting settled will be a wonderful kind of home too!

    ReplyDelete