Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Holy MANGO, Batman! And other Fresh Market Finds:


Who doesn't love a good Farmer's Market? In Okinawa, there were a ton of fruit & veggie stands along the road and markets in each town. I've been hoping and dying to find a Farmer's Market here in Augusta. I'm still on the lookout. My neighbor who also loves fresh food took me to a wonderful grocery store, Fresh Market! Can you believe the size of that Organic, USDA Mango?


Have you ever just walked into a place and knew, just knew that it was your kind of place? I can't help but be cheesy and say I heart Fresh Market! I was worried that this high-end looking gourmet store would be too pricey for me to enjoy. However, the prices weren't too bad and were comparable; especially since you're getting organic for roughly the same price as regular produce at the Commissary.

They even have sushi and fresh seafood. I bought Sashimi grade, Ahi (yellowfin) Tuna for the hubby. As a special treat, I made Hawaiian Poke for him. He only likes to eat fish raw so I have to be sure what we buy is absolutely fresh. I really wanted to post a picture of the Poke for you but the sneaky bugger went and ate it all before I got the chance. So instead, I'd like to share my recipe:

Lehua's Poke (pronounced poe-kay)

Ahi or Aku (bonita or yellowfin tuna), raw & cut into 1" chunks

Hawaiian Salt (course sea salt)

Onion (yellow, white or sweet), thinly sliced

Shoyu (Soy Sauce) *Do NOT use Kikkoman! Or I'll put you in time-out! Aloha Shoyu is preferrable.

Sesame Oil

Crushed Red Pepper flakes or minced fresh chili pepper (*Optional)

As you can see, there are no measurements. Sorry! It just all depends on how much fish you have to work with and what taste you want the Poke to have.

Make sure your tuna is fresh. Fresh fish should NOT have a fishy smell or a rainbow tint. A good filet of tuna is pink and should have little to no white lines. Go ahead and chop your tuna into 1" chunks. Place in an airtight container and sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside. Now slice your onion very thin. I used Vidalia onion since I'm in Georgia. If you can do this by hand, great. I use a mandolin so I don't maim myself. I like to add an equal amount of onion to fish ratio (because I love onions). Use as much as you prefer. Go ahead and toss the onions into the fish. Now add your chili pepper (to taste). Now, we add our liquid ingredients. I like to coat the mixture with Sesame oil first then I add the Soy Sauce. Just remember that you want to coat the mixture like a light marinade. The mixture should never be "soupy". The Sesami adds a sweet, nutty flavor that balances the salty soy sauce and spicy chili. Put the top on the container and shake to mix. Taste your masterpiece and make sure it tastes how you want. You can always add more flavor at this point. You can serve and eat immediately or chill & marinate in the fridge for a few hours. It's best when eaten within 2-3 days. It never actually lasts that long in my house. However, if your fish smells fishy or gets a rainbow tint then the Poke has gone bad and it's time to throw out! I promise the next time I make it, I'll be sure to take pictures for you all.

So if any of you former Gordanians know where I can find a Farmer's Market in Augusta, please let me know!! Right now, I'm going to enjoy a wonderful bowl of Mango!





2 comments:

  1. ok so i am totally going off memory. there is a red barn flea market/produce market that opens on weekends. it is past peach orchard on bobby jones (i think it is past mike padgett, too) anyway, look it up and you should be able to find directions and such. hope it is worthy still :o) good luck. and P.S. fresh market is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... Mango. I wait patiently for the pictures you'll have for us next time. Also, whenever you mention onions, I think of you in line at Subway telling the rest of us to get them too. :)

    ReplyDelete