Sunday, September 6, 2009

For The Love Of.... Boiled Peanuts!



First, I'd like to point out that Boiled Peanuts in the South are different than the Boiled Peanuts I've known and loved in Hawaii. In fact, until recently I didn't even know you could get them in a can! Thanks for the heads up, Diane!! I've spent the last 9 years in Japan, utterly Boiled Peanut-less. Now, I'm in search of the perfect Boiled Peanuts.





I have tried the Boiled Peanuts in a can. They are okay and definitely a pantry must in case of emergency. However, I got a mushy batch. I like my peanuts small, sweet and firm. So I passed the tempting sale at Sam's Club for impossibly HUGE cans of Boiled Peanuts and moved on to something more adventurous....




I found Boiled Peanuts for sale at a local service station. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these peanuts were available in a crockpot in Original or Cajun seasonings at a Gas Station. At first, George thought perhaps my peanut affection had gone too far but after seeing my girly, giddiness at the prospect of having fresh peanuts he decided I was just too darn cute to say, "No, honey you might get E.coli." These peanuts were served warm. I'm used to eating mine cold but dug right in. Again, they were satisfactory but not as wonderful as I know Boiled Peanuts can be. My quest for this weekend is stopping at a quaint, and slightly ghetto-looking Boiled Peanut Cart on the side of the road in Grovetown. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. This post was made for people like me...I can appreciate a good boiled peanut story. P.S. love the pics...you have a knack!!

    ReplyDelete